Your new hearing aids were a significant investment and you’d like to keep them in good working order for as long as possible. At Collier Otolaryngology Hearing Center, we are dedicated to making sure your hearing care experience is the best it can be, and that includes helping you take care of your hearing aids so they last as long as possible.
There Are Limits to a Hearing Aid’s Lifespan
Even with the best care, hearing aids will last at most five or six years. This is mostly due to the fact that they are highly tuned and very delicate pieces of equipment and there is only so much wear and tear they can endure and still work at an optimum level. In order to develop small, light, and comfortable devices, manufacturers use tiny components and encase them in thin molded plastic, and, while they are impressively durable, they are simply not indestructible.
What You Can Do to Protect Them
A hearing aid’s worst enemies are dirt and moisture. Routine daily cleaning of your devices will help extend their life. You will be shown how to properly care for your hearing aids in our office, but, as a reminder, the following tips are good habits to keep:
- Use tools from your hearing aid cleaning kit to gently brush away dirt and grit, wipe off wax build-up, and clean the ear mold.
- Avoid any exposure to moisture by using hearing aid covers when around water or when exercising, removing them before showering or swimming, and drying them out every night.
- Check the batteries regularly and store the hearing aids in a protective case with the battery compartment open to allow moisture to escape.
- Be careful when inserting or removing your hearing aids. Always handle them gently and work over a counter top covered by a soft towel.
- Follow your hearing care provider’s specific instructions for caring for your particular hearing aid and visit your hearing care center for maintenance and tuning appointments as needed.
New Technology Emerges Every Year
While you may be able to extend the life of your hearing aids with proper care, you will not be able to update the features as new technology becomes available. For this reason, many people decide to upgrade to new devices before their current hearing aids are actually worn out. During the five years your hearing aids work, many new bells and whistles will become available on newer models of hearing aids, and you may choose to purchase new hearing aids before the five years are up.
Collier Is Your All-Purpose Hearing Care Center
Whatever you choose to do—baby your hearing aids for the longest life possible, or upgrade to new models every couple of years—we are here to support you. Call our office at 888-491-9331 with any questions you may have.